meta data information returned for domains

From: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: meta data information returned for domains
Date: 2004-12-03 03:13:13
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice for handling postgres domains
withing JDBCs metadata...

I'm using the JDBC database metadata facilities to get information about
tables for the purposes of auto generating program code. This has all been
working fine until I got to testing it on a database that uses domains as
the datatypes for the columns.

I havn't had a chance to investigate it thoroughly yet, but it I'm getting a
datatype code of 1111 when the columns datatype is a domain. , I don't know
if this has any special meaning or not, but it doesn't correspond to any of
the java.sql types that I was comparing it to, so for now my code is broken.

I had a look around for information on this but didn't come up with
anything... (yet) so I'm hoping someone here could point me in the right
direction. Most essentially, I'd like to know if there is a standard way to
get the base datatype information as that is what I need for code
generation.

regards
Iain