Re: Wrong column names in ResultSetMetaData

From: "Mike Martin" <mmartin(at)vieo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wrong column names in ResultSetMetaData
Date: 2004-08-02 21:24:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:
> All the documentation you've pointed to is circumstancial at best.

Come now, I think it's a little better than that. I guess I
don't see as much ambiguity in "... the SQL AS clause can be
used to provide names for computed columns" as you do.

> You will need to find clear
> documentation that this is incorrect or rally some other users to your
> position.

Then I call on all users using any of the following DBMS's
to weigh in on this issue:

SELECT PRICE AS ORIG_PRICE, PRICE + 1.00 AS PRICE FROM T

getColumnName(1) getColumnName(2)
DB/driver getColumnLabel(1) getColumnLabel(2)

Cloudscape ORIG_PRICE ORIG_PRICE PRICE PRICE
Firebird ORIG_PRICE ORIG_PRICE PRICE PRICE
SQL Server (JTDS) ORIG_PRICE ORIG_PRICE PRICE PRICE
SQL Server (MS) ORIG_PRICE ORIG_PRICE PRICE PRICE
MySQL Connector/J ORIG_PRICE ORIG_PRICE PRICE PRICE
Oracle thin ORIG_PRICE ORIG_PRICE PRICE PRICE
PostgreSQL 7.4 orig_price orig_price price price
PostgreSQL 7.5 price orig_price price ""

Those are the drivers I have handy at the moment. I have a couple
more I can try tomorrow. I invite others to post their results.

Of course, this is probably the wrong NG for a cross-DB call to
arms. :) But I should think that sample is large enough to cause
worry about how much code is going to be broken.

Mike