Re: SSL for JDBC

From: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Tarjei Skorgenes <tarjei(dot)skorgenes(at)himolde(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SSL for JDBC
Date: 2003-02-27 05:53:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Tarjei,

I just committed a set of changes that adds SSL support in the driver.
This was committed to cvs head. I have attached the diff which
shouldn't be too difficult to backpatch to 7.3 sources.

thanks,
--Barry

PS. Later tonight I will post a new development build to the
jdbc.postgresql.org website (build 202) that includes these changes.

Tarjei Skorgenes wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 09:40:52AM -0800, Barry Lind wrote:
>
>>Takeo,
>>
>>There is more work necessary than what you have tried. Please look at
>>the documentation for how the postgres server negotiates a connection
>>with the client regarding ssl.
>>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&idoc=0&file=protocol-protocol.html#AEN54636
>>
>>Basically, the connection is initiated with non-ssl and then converted
>>to ssl later. I was just looking at the java ssl API and I don't see a
>>way to do this in java. Does anyone more familiar with java ssl support
>>know how you can convert a regular socket connection to ssl after you
>>have created and used it?
>

> I tried making this work last year and got it up and running fairly
> easy. Never quite got around to clean it up and send inn a patch though.
>
> For those interested the code is available at the following address:
>
> http://home.himolde.no/~tarjeis/jdbc-ssl.tar.gz
>
> The interesting bits is in the org.postgesql.SSLConnection class.
>
> --
> Tarjei Skorgenes

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Attachment Content-Type Size