Re: Patch against 7.3.1 AbstractJdbc1Connection.java to allow schema in connectionURL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch against 7.3.1 AbstractJdbc1Connection.java to allow schema in connectionURL
Date: 2002-12-22 16:48:09
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no> writes:
> I've attached a patch which makes it possible to choose which schema to
> connect to by passing ?schema=myschema to the connectionURL like this:

Wouldn't it be better to set the preferred search path as part of your
per-user defaults? I'm suspicious of adding such warts to client
libraries.

Some objections to the patch as posted:

1. No documentation.

2. It appears that the patch will forcibly set the search path whether
the user asked for it or not. This means that any installation,
per-database, or per-user default setting will be overridden. The
patch's idea of the appropriate default does not even match the
factory default ("$user,public" IIRC).

3. (Another aspect of inappropriate default behavior) If public schema
doesn't exist, patch causes all connection attempts to fail.