Re: Handling null values in char fields from JDBC

From: "Paulo Merson" <paulo(at)summa-tech(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Handling null values in char fields from JDBC
Date: 2002-01-22 19:11:38
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

You should use wasNull after each getXxx method if the column being read
allows null. It's as simple as:

text = rs.getString(2);
if (rs.wasNull()) {
System.out.println("This column is SQL null");
} else {
// process data
}

It's particularly useful when you are reading values to basic data type
variables (not objects) because there is no value that uniquely
represents the SQL null. For example getInt returns 0 (zero) if the
value is null but it would also return 0 when the value is zero.
(ResultSet.getString must return null when the column value is null; I'm
using it in Posrgres JDBC driver and it works fine.)

Check
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/java/sql/ResultSet.html#wasNull()

Paulo Merson
Summa Technologies - www.summa-tech.com