v8.1: Error severity on libpq PGconn*

From: Jeffrey Brendecke <yakhki(at)yahoo(dot)de>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: v8.1: Error severity on libpq PGconn*
Date: 2007-11-26 23:52:50
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Is there a recommended way to get the error severity (ERROR vs. FATAL vs. PANIC, etc.) off a PGconn* as there is for a PGresult* using PQresultErrorField()?

For example, when I pass in a non-existent database name when creating a connection, I get the following message:

FATAL: database "xxxxxx" does not exist

as returned by PQerrorMessage().

This message format does not fit into my messaging framework and the status returned from PQstatus() is unfortunately too vague to be of use in this regard.

I would like to avoid parsing the message, chopping off the text up to the double space, and do some sort of lookup on the preceeding localized text to determine the severity.

The 8.1 docs say there is no PQerrorField() function and the 8.2 and 8.3 docs make the same disclaimer.

I saw some mails back from 2003 in the archives that seem to propose such a solution as PQerrorField(), but it appears to have never been implemented.

Thanks very much.

__________________________________ Ihre erste Baustelle? Wissenswertes für Bastler und Hobby Handwerker. www.yahoo.de/clever