plpgsql: defuault parameters and constant function parameters

From: "Roger Moloney" <ramoloney(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: plpgsql: defuault parameters and constant function parameters
Date: 2007-08-28 12:31:57
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

Having just done the first draft of a large migration from informix to
postgres, I wanted to point out that the migration was hugely complicated by
postgres inability to define default parameters and to modify function
parameters which were not output.

Consider a simple function like (in informix):

// informix procedure
create procedure p_AddItem (pItemName char(50),
pItemDescription char(100),
pX integer
DEFAULT 1,
pY char
DEFAULT 'x',
pZ smallint)
returning INTEGER;
define vItemRef integer;
begin
-- Do input error checks
/* checks on pX, pY, pZ */

-- Add the item and return its reference
insert item (item_name, item_description) values (pItemName,
pItemDescription);
let vItemRef = DBINFO('sqca.sqerrd1');
return vItemRef;
end

and it's postgres equivalent:

// postgres function
create or replace function p_AddItem (pItemName char(50),
pItemDescription
char(100),
pX int /*
DEFAULT not possible */,
pY char /* DEFAULT
not possible */,
pZ smallint)
returns INTEGER as
$$
declare
vItemRef integer;
vX integer DEFAULT coalesce(pX,1);
vY char DEFAULT coalesce(pY,'x');
vZ smallint DEFAULT coalesce(pZ,'');

begin
-- Do input error checks
/* checks on vX, vY, vZ */

-- Add the item and return its reference
insert into item (item_name, item_description) values (pItemName,
pItemDescription);
vItemRef := currval('item_item_ref_seq');
return vItemRef;
end
$$
language 'plpgsql';

As you can see there are a lot of changes to make. Not too nice when you are
dealing with hundreds of procedures. This would be greatly easier if:

1) postgres could do DEFAULT parameters.
I know this probably would not happen as it would make functions
harder to recognise and
may not suit postgres polymorphic functions.

2) postgres would allow function parameters to be non-constant without
declaring them as OUT.
I dont want to make them output parameters as they are not output
parameters. I am returning different output parameters. However it would be
great if I could modify (and not pass back) the value of a input parameter.
Perhaps this is *not* allowed for performance reasons ? But it was a huge
factor in the migration and is still causing bother to me as almost every
single parameter needs to be refactored (i.e. put in a coalesce statement
for it and then refactor the name throughout the function body) as almost
every paraemter is DEFAULTED in informix or modified in the informix
function body.

I can't stress how difficult this made the migration. As mentioned there
were hundreds of procedures and some have 40 parameters in them.

Any chance of allowing input parameters to be modified within the function
body ?

Download the latest version of Windows Live Messenger NOW!
http://get.live.com/en-ie/messenger/overview