Re: tcl on gborg, pgtclsh

From: L J Bayuk <ljb220(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org (Marc G(dot) Fournier)
Cc: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net (Peter Eisentraut), pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, xgbe(at)yahoo(dot)com (Chris Ryan)
Subject: Re: tcl on gborg, pgtclsh
Date: 2004-02-24 02:47:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-www

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >
> > Note, if you move libpgtcl elsewhere, you will also have to take pgtclsh
> > and pgtksh with it. Currently, I don't see these programs in the pgtcl
> > project on gborg. Also, don't forget to move the documentation this
> > time.
>
> Good points, thanks ... LJ, any chance you'd be willing to 'maintain'
> these on gborg?

Yes and no.

I do have pgtclsh and pgwish (which I renamed from pgtksh) in my project.
They build and test OK, but I moved them to an "extra" directory, labeled
them as "deprecated", and do not provide auto-configure. Also, I won't
include support for building them on Windows. In my opinion, it's so much
better to use dynamic package loading with Tcl, that it makes no sense to
link a specific extension into a Tcl shell anymore. "package require
Pgtcl" is the way to go. But if anyone really needs the pg* shells, they
can edit a few lines in the Makefile and build them.

However... shortly after I created a new project on Gborg for my version of
the Tcl interface, the original Gborg pgtcl project started getting
updates. I don't know what Brett's plans are, but I'm in a quandary about
what to do. I'm very close to finishing up my version, including the new
reference manual and Windows binary release, but I've held off uploading or
releasing anything. I didn't count on forking an active project, and I
don't want to do the wrong thing. Advice?