Re: Switching timeline over streaming replication

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "'Heikki Linnakangas'" <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL-development'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "'Thom Brown'" <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Switching timeline over streaming replication
Date: 2012-12-05 12:32:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tuesday, December 04, 2012 10:01 PM Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> After some diversions to fix bugs and refactor existing code, I've
> committed a couple of small parts of this patch, which just add some
> sanity checks to notice incorrect PITR scenarios. Here's a new version
> of the main patch based on current HEAD.

After testing with the new patch, the following problems are observed.

Defect - 1:

1. start primary A
2. start standby B following A
3. start cascade standby C following B.
4. start another standby D following C.
5. Promote standby B.
6. After successful time line switch in cascade standby C & D, stop D.
7. Restart D, Startup is successful and connecting to standby C.
8. Stop C.
9. Restart C, startup is failing.

Defect-2:
1. start primary A
2. start standby B following A
3. start cascade standby C following B.
4. Start another standby D following C.
5. Execute the following commands in the primary A.
create table tbl(f int);
insert into tbl values(generate_series(1,1000));
6. Promote standby B.
7. Execute the following commands in the primary B.
insert into tbl values(generate_series(1001,2000));
insert into tbl values(generate_series(2001,3000));
8. Stop standby D normally and restart D. Restart is failing.
9. Stop standby C normally and restart C. Restart is failing.

Note: Stop the node means doing a smart shutdown.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.