Re: pgbench--new transaction type

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgbench--new transaction type
Date: 2012-06-20 19:54:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 20.06.2012 21:41, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> On 20 June 2012 18:42, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>  wrote:

>>> I was thinking along similar lines myself.  At the least, I think we
>>> can't continue to add a short option for every new test type.
>>> Instead, maybe we could have --test-type=WHATEVER, and perhaps that
>>> then reads whatever.sql from some compiled-in directory.  That would
>>> allow us to sanely support a moderately large number of tests.
>
> We could call the --test-type option -f, and the "compiled-in directory"
> could be the current directory ;-).

Well, that sounds a lot like "let's reject the patch". Which would be
OK with me, I guess, but if the goal is to make it easy for all
developers to run that particular test, I'm not sure that's getting us
there.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company