Re: swapcache-style cache?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: swapcache-style cache?
Date: 2012-02-23 20:57:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/22/2012 05:31 PM, james wrote:
> Has anyone considered managing a system like the DragonFLY swapcache for
> a DBMS like PostgreSQL?
>
> ie where the admin can assign drives with good random read behaviour
> (but perhaps also-ran random write) such as SSDs to provide a cache for
> blocks that were dirtied, with async write that hopefully writes them
> out before they are forcibly discarded.

We know that battery-backed write caches are extremely effective for
PostgreSQL writes. I see most of these tiered storage ideas as acting
like a big one of those, which seems to hold in things like SAN storage
that have adopted this sort of technique already. A SSD is quite large
relative to a typical BBWC.

There are a few reasons that doesn't always give the win hoped for though:

-Database writes have write durability requirements that require safe
storage more often than most other applications. One of the reasons the
swapcache helps is that it aims to bundle writes into 64K chunks, very
SSD friendly. The database may force them more often than that. The
fact that all the Dragonfly documentation uses Intel drives for its
examples that don't write reliably doesn't make me too optimistic about
that being a priority of the design. The SSDs that have safe,
battery-backed write buffers >=64KB make that win go away.

-Ultimately all this data needs to make it out to real disk. The funny
thing about caches is that no matter how big they are, you can easily
fill them up if doing something faster than the underlying storage can
handle.

-If you have something like a BBWC in front of traditional storage, as
well as a few gigabytes of operating system write buffering, that really
helps traditional storage a lot already. Those two things do so much
write reordering that some of the random seek gain gap between spinning
disk and SSD shrinks. And sequential throughput is usually not sped up
very much by SSD, except at the high end (using lots of banks).

One reaction to all this is to point out that it's sometimes easier to
add a SSD to a system than a BBWC. That is true. The thing that
benefits most from this are the WAL writes though, and since they're
both sequential and very high volume they're really smacking into the
worst case scenario for SSD vs. spinning disk too.

> I'd been thinking that swapcache would help where the working set won't
> fit in RAM, also L2ARC on Solaris - but it seems to me that there is no
> reason not to allow the DBMS to manage the set-aside area itself where
> it is given either access to the raw device or to a pre-sized file on
> the device it can map in segments.

Well, you could argue that if we knew what to do with it, we'd have
already built that logic into a superior usage of shared_buffers.
Instead we punt a lot of this work toward the kernel, often usefully.
Write cache reordering and read-ahead are the two biggest things storage
does that we'd have to reinvent inside PostgreSQL if more direct disk
I/O was attempted.

I don't think the idea of a swapcache is without merit; there's surely
some applications that will benefit from it. It's got a lot of
potential as a way to absorb short-term bursts of write activity. And
there are some applications that could benefit from having a second tier
of read cache, not as fast as RAM but larger and faster than real disk
seeks. In all of those potential win cases, though, I don't see why the
OS couldn't just manage the whole thing for us.