Re: pgstat documentation tables

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgstat documentation tables
Date: 2012-01-16 18:47:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 19:41, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On sön, 2012-01-15 at 12:20 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> writes:
>> > Right now we have a single table on
>> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/monitoring-stats.html#MONITORING-STATS-VIEWS
>> > that lists all our statistics views ...
>> > I'd like to turn that into one table for each view,
>>
>> Please follow the style already used for system catalogs; ie I think
>> there should be a summary table with one entry per view, and then a
>> separate description and table-of-columns for each view.
>
> If the tables had proper table and column comments, you might even be
> able to generate the SGML documentation automatically.

Well, I'd expect some of those columns to get (at least over time)
significantly more detailed information than they have now. Certainly
more than you'd put in comments in the catalogs. And having some sort
of combination there seems to overcomplicate things...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/