Re: patch: move dumpUserConfig call in dumpRoles function of pg_dumpall.c

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch: move dumpUserConfig call in dumpRoles function of pg_dumpall.c
Date: 2011-10-10 15:54:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Phil Sorber <phil(at)omniti(dot)com> wrote:
>> Ok, here is the patch that just moves the ALTER/SET pieces to the end.
>> Can we get this included in the next commit fest?
>
> Yep, just make yourself an account and add it.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like anyone ever replied to this
thread, but Tom posted some thoughts on another thread that seem to me
to be a serious problem for this patch:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/13764.1315094292@sss.pgh.pa.us

I don't see any easy way around that problem, so I'm going to mark
this patch Returned with Feedback for now. It strikes me as craziness
to try to guess which settings we should restore at the beginning and
which at the end, so I think we need a better idea. I don't really
understand why it's not OK to just have pg_dump issue RESET ROLE at
appropriate points in the process; that seems like it would be
sufficient and not particularly ugly.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company