Re: WIP: Allow SQL-language functions to reference parameters by parameter name

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Matthew Draper <matthew(at)trebex(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Allow SQL-language functions to reference parameters by parameter name
Date: 2011-04-05 15:10:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mar 28, 2011, at 3:18 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On lör, 2011-03-26 at 09:41 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>> You can't be guaranteed that they won't standardize something
>> incompatible no matter what we do. We could choose to do it as you've
>> proposed and they could then standardize some weird syntax - the => is
>> a fairly relevant example of exactly that.
>
> The matter of how to resolve SQL parameter names is already
> standardized. See clause on <identifier chain>.

Was there a final consensus on this?

FWIW, if we go with using function name, it'd be nice to be allowed to alias that. I don't have a strong opinion between that and using : or $ or whatever. I do feel strongly that we must continue to support existing SQL functions in a reasonable fashion. Having the function blow up on the first invocation is no better than breaking the dump. There should be either a backwards-compatibility mode, or better yet, a way to automatically convert functions to be compatible with the new syntax.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net