Better estimates of index correlation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Better estimates of index correlation
Date: 2011-03-13 23:40:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Currently, we don't measure any statistics about the ordering
correlation of multi-column indexes, which means that btcostestimate
has to pick a number out of the air if there's more than one column.
We've been around on that at least once already: it used to use first
column's correlation divided by number of columns, and now uses first
column's correlation times 0.75, and neither of those approaches have
any theoretical basis whatsoever. I got started thinking about this
again in connection with John Surcombe's recent complaint on
pgsql-performance, which seems likely to be related to having a good
correlation estimate for one index but not another.

It strikes me that it'd be possible to have btvacuumcleanup directly
measure order correlation when it's processing a btree index, yielding a
reliable answer for any btree index regardless of number of columns.
We could do that by comparing the heap block numbers of adjacent
index entries' TIDs and counting the number of up-transitions (block
number larger than previous index entry) versus down-transitions (block
number smaller than previous). Since btvacuumcleanup scans the index in
physical order not logical order, we could not meaningfully make
comparisons between the last entry on an index page and the first entry
on the next, but I think it's quite reasonable to assume that the
statistics of those comparisons would be the same as the statistics of
the intra-page comparisons. So at the end of the cleanup scan we would
have total numbers of up-transitions and down-transitions. It's clear
that a perfectly correlated index would have many up-transitions and no
down-transitions; a perfectly reverse-correlated index would have the
opposite; and an uncorrelated index would have about equal numbers of
them. So we could approximate the index correlation with something like

(up_transition_count - down_transition_count) /
(up_transition_count + down_transition_count)

My statistics are a bit rusty so I'm not sure if we need a square or
square root or something in there, but it seems like this would work,
and would add only a negligible amount of overhead. We could then have
VACUUM save the number into pg_statistic or pg_index, and away we go.

I'm not planning to do anything about this idea right now, since I'm
still hip-deep in collations, but I thought I'd throw it out to get
it on the record.

Comments?