Backups from the standby (Incrementally Updated Backups), open item

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Backups from the standby (Incrementally Updated Backups), open item
Date: 2010-08-24 18:04:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,

I've been looking at the open item which belongs with this doc:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/backup-incremental-updated.html

... and my viewpoint is that the procedure described should be *cut*
from the official docs and put on the Wiki, with warnings. It's simply
far too hackish and dependant on DBA understanding of PostgreSQL
internals to belong in the main docs.

In 9.1 we'll probably have some machinery to make taking snapshots of
the standby more reliable (like running pg_start_backup on the master),
and then that procedure will belong in the main docs.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.