Additional git conversion steps

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Additional git conversion steps
Date: 2010-08-17 18:21:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

There are a couple of things I think should happen ASAP once the git
repository is up, but weren't mentioned in Magnus' plans:

1. The various .cvsignore files need to be replaced by .gitignore files.
I am not sure though whether this is a trivial conversion --- does git
have similar default rules about ignoring .o, etc?

2. One thing I will miss from the removal of $PostgreSQL$ tags is that
they guaranteed that every file contained its own full pathname within
the source tree. I found myself using that an awful lot, mainly as a
source for copying-and-pasting file paths. To substitute for the tags,
I would like to propose a project standard that every file contain its
pathname in the header comment, not just the bare filename which is the
de facto standard at the moment. For example, instead of

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*
* plancache.c
* Plan cache management.

we should have

*
* src/backend/utils/cache/plancache.c
* Plan cache management.

Whatever we do with the .cvsignore files will need to be back-patched
into all active branches, but I am not so anal-retentive as to wish
to back-patch the pathname comment changes.

Comments?