Re: Synchronous replication

From: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronous replication
Date: 2010-07-22 08:37:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii Masao wrote:
> How should the synchronous replication behave when the number of connected
> standby servers is less than quorum?
>
> 1. Ignore quorum. The current patch adopts this. If the ACKs from all
> connected standbys have arrived, transaction commit is successful
> even if the number of standbys is less than quorum. If there is no
> connected standby, transaction commit always is successful without
> regard to quorum.
>
> 2. Observe quorum. Aidan wants this. Until the number of connected
> standbys has become more than or equal to quorum, transaction commit
> waits.
>
> Which is the right behavior of quorum commit? Or we should add new
> parameter specifying the behavior of quorum commit?

Initially I also expected the quorum to behave like described by
Aidan/option 2. Also, IMHO the name "quorom" is a bit short, like having
"maximum" but not saying a max_something.

quorum_min_sync_standbys
quorum_max_sync_standbys

The question remains what are the sync standbys? Does it mean not-async?
Intuitively by looking at the enumeration of replication_mode I'd think
that the sync standbys are all standby's that operate in a not async
mode. That would be clearer with a boolean sync (or not) and for sync
standbys the replication_mode specified.

regards,
Yeb Havinga