Re: Stefan's bug (was: max_standby_delay considered harmful)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Stefan's bug (was: max_standby_delay considered harmful)
Date: 2010-05-26 12:54:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 6:19 AM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> Though I'm not sure if this should be fixed for 9.0, I attached the
>> patch (move_bkp_cancel_warning_v1.patch).
>
> This patch is worth applying for 9.0? If not, I'll add it into
> the next CF for 9.1.

I'm not convinced that this is a good idea, because ISTM it will make
the error message to be less likely to be seen by the person running
pg_ctl. In any case, it's a behavior change, so I think that means
it's a no-go for 9.0.

In terms of 9.1, it might make sense to log something to both places.
But maybe we shouldn't just do it once - maybe it should happen every
30 s or so until we actually manage to shut down, with a list of
what's still blocking shutdown a la errdetail_busy_db.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company