don't allow walsender to consume superuser_reserved_connection slots, or during shutdown

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: don't allow walsender to consume superuser_reserved_connection slots, or during shutdown
Date: 2010-04-22 01:11:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> ...shouldn't we move the "tests", plural, rather than just the one?
>> It seems right to reject new SR connections during shutdown.
>
> Yeah; you'd also need to adjust both of them to consider am_walsender.
> (IOW, we want to treat SR connections as non-superuser for both tests.)

[ subject changed, recipient list trimmed ]

Here's the fine patch. The actual code changes are simple and seem to
work as expected, but I struggled a bit with the phrasing of the
messages. Feel free to suggest improvements. Also, I wasn't sure if
there was somewhere in the documentation where we discussed the
restriction that only superusers can connect during shutdown. If
there is such a place, we should update that, too.

...Robert

Attachment Content-Type Size
superuser_is_not_enuf.patch application/octet-stream 3.0 KB