Postgres 9.1 - Release Theme

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres 9.1 - Release Theme
Date: 2010-04-01 08:13:16
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Following a great deal of discussion, I'm pleased to announce that the
PostgreSQL Core team has decided that the major theme for the 9.1
release, due in 2011, will be 'NoSQL'.

There is a growing trend towards NoSQL databases, with major sites
like Twitter and Facebook utilising them extensively. NoSQL databases
often include multi-master replication, clustering and failover
features that have long been requested in PostgresSQL, but have been
extremely difficult to implement with SQL which has prevented us from
advancing Postgree in the way that we'd like.

To address this, the intention is to remove SQL support from
Postgres, and replace it with a language called 'QUEL'. This will
provide us with the flexibility we need to implement the features of
modern NoSQL databases. With no SQL support there will obviously be
some differences in the query syntax that must be used to access your
data. For example, the query:

select (e.salary/ (e.age - 18)) as comp from employee as e where
e.name = "Jones"

would be rewritten as:

range of e is employee retrieve (comp = e.salary/ (e.age - 18)) where
e.name = "Jones"

Aggregate syntax in QUEL is particularly powerful. For example, the query:

select dept,
avg(salary) as avg_salary,
sum(salary) as tot_salary
from
employees
group by
dept

may be written as:

range of e is employee
retrieve (e.dept,
avg_salary = avg(e.salary by e.dept),
tot_salary = sum(e.salary by e.dept)
)

Note that the grouped column can be specified for each individual
aggregate.

We will be producing a comprehensive guide to the QUEL syntax to aid
with application migration. We appreciate the difficulty that this
change may cause some users, but feel we must embrace the NoSQL
philosophy in order to remain "The world's most advanced Open Source
database"

"There's no question that, at 21 years old, the SQL standard is past its
prime," said core developer and standards expert Peter Eisentraut. "It's
time for us to switch to something fresher. I personally would have
preferred XSLT, but QUEL is almost as good."

Project committer Heikki Linnakangas added: "By replacing SQL with
QUEL not only will will be able to add new features to Postgres that
were previously too difficult, but we'll also increase user loyalty as it'll
be much harder for them to change to a different, SQL-based
database. That'll be pretty cool."

You may also notice that without SQL, the project name is somewhat
misleading. To address that, the project name will be changed to
'PostgreQUEL' with the 9.1 release. We expect this will also put an
end to the periodic debates on changing the project name.

Dave Page
On behalf of the PostgreSQL Core Team