Re: walreceiver is uninterruptible on win32

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: walreceiver is uninterruptible on win32
Date: 2010-03-15 15:32:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>> I think we need to look at this as a single problem needing to be
>> solved, and then have the same solution applied to dblink and
>> walreceiver.

Agreed.

> Something like libpq_select() which waits for the socket to become
> ready would be required for walreceiver and dblink. But it's necessary
> for walreceiver on not only win32 but also the other, ...

Really, why? I thought this is a purely Windows specific problem.

Just replacing PQexec() with PQsendQuery() is pretty straightforward, we
could put that replacement in a file in port/win32. Replacing
PQconnectdb() is more complicated because you need to handle connection
timeout. I suggest that we only add the replacement for PQexec(), and
live with the situation for PQconnectdb(), that covers 99% of the
scenarios anyway.

--
Heikki Linnakangas