Re: scheduler in core

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: scheduler in core
Date: 2010-02-21 18:11:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com> writes:
> > Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
> >> Why not just use pgAgent? It's far more flexible than the design
> >> you've suggested, and already exists.
>
> > What would it take to have it included in core,
>
> I don't think this really makes sense. There's basically no argument
> for having it in core other than "I'm too lazy to install a separate
> package". Unlike the case for autovacuum, there isn't anything an
> in-core implementation could do that an external one doesn't do as well
> or better. So I'm not eager to take on additional maintenance burden
> for such a thing.

There is currently no way to run a separate daemon process that runs
user code as part of Postgres, so that the startup code gets run
immediately we startup, re-run if we crash and shut down cleanly when
the server does. If there were some way to run arbitrary code in a
daemon using an extensibility API then we wouldn't ever get any requests
for the scheduler, cos you could write it yourself without troubling
anybody here.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com