Re: 8.5 vs. 9.0, Postgres vs. PostgreSQL

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 vs. 9.0, Postgres vs. PostgreSQL
Date: 2010-01-21 17:19:42
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> I thought we ended up that thread already?
>>
>> Well, the thread may have ended, but the problem remains. Call
>> it the 900 pound gorilla in a room full of elephants. I know
>> many people are loathe to see the discussion come up again,
>> but as long as the project is saddled with its ugly and
>> unweildy official name, it has a large problem.
>
> it is your opinion - not my. I thing, so is nonsense returning to
> closed chapters.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

As far as I can see, there is absolutely zero reason to care about
whether the product is called Postgres or PostgreSQL. If it were
called WeGrindUpTheBonesOfSmallChildrenSQL, maybe a change would be
worth considering. As it is, I submit that the product name is not on
in the top 10,000 things we should be worried about fixing, even if
there were a consensus that it were a good idea (which there isn't)
and even if -core had not already made a decision on this point (which
they have). What I think we SHOULD be worrying about right now is
getting 9.0 out the door, and I am 100% opposed to letting ourselves
getting sucked into this or any other discussion which is likely to
make that take longer than it likely already will.

...Robert