Re: Using results from INSERT ... RETURNING

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(dot)tiikkaja(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>, PostgreSQL hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using results from INSERT ... RETURNING
Date: 2009-10-08 21:01:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> That seems like a good design.  I hate to have you spend too much time
>> on any one patch at this stage of the game, though.  Is this a big
>> enough change that we should send it back for the patch author (or
>> other interested parties) to do make that change, or are you just
>> going to knock it out?
>
> I was going to look at it and probably do it myself unless it turns out
> to be a bigger change than I'm thinking.  The only other stuff that's
> Ready for Committer for me now is privileges stuff, which is not on the
> critical path for other development work, and besides I'm a bit tired
> of that topic right now.

"Buffer usage in EXPLAIN and pg_stat_statements" might be another one
for you, unless someone else is already handling that.

"Reworks for Access Controls" is important for future work, so it
would be good to try to fit that one in if possible. It's not marked
as Ready for Committer yet because Stephen hasn't gotten around to
looking at the latest version, but I think he is fairly comfortable
with where it is at, so it is probably good for you to try to
determine whether there's a hole in the bottom of the ship before too
much more time is spend rearranging the deck furniture.

...Robert