Re: pg_migrator mention in documentation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_migrator mention in documentation
Date: 2009-07-03 19:19:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Consistency here is pointless. IIRC the dual method is used in contrib
> because people did not trust the PGXS stuff enough to rip the original
> Make code out; or maybe because people did not want PGXS to become the
> default build method, but they allowed it to be used in contrib as a
> test bed that PGXS worked.

The main reason contrib still has the alternate method is that PGXS
doesn't really work until after you've installed the core build.
For modules distributed separately from core, it doesn't seem that
exciting to be able to build using the contrib method.

Now, having said that, I'm personally interested in being able to build
pg_migrator against an uninstalled source tree, because I foresee
needing to do that for RPM packaging purposes. But I could easily patch
the makefiles if needed to make that happen. I don't think this case
should drive the choice of what's the default or common method.