Re: benchmarking the query planner

From: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Greg Stark" <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: benchmarking the query planner
Date: 2008-12-10 04:25:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> I tried a different query, trying to get quadratic growth and again failed. It

The profiling results I sent the other day show an exactly-linear
increase in the number of times eqjoinsel invokes FunctionCall2.
Reading through the the eqjoinsel_inner loop in selfuncs.c beginning
around line 2042, I think what is happening is this: since the two
tables are really the same table, nvalues1 and nvalues2 are the same
array, and therefore contain the same elements in the same order. As
a result, for each i, we skip over the first i - 1 entries in
nvalues2, which have already been matched, and then compare element i
of nvalues1 to element i of nvalues2 and mark them both as matched.

Although this is technically an O(n^2) algorithm, the constant is very
low, because this code is Really Fast:

if (hasmatch[j])
continue;

To get observable quadratic behavior, I think you might need to
construct two MCV arrays where all the values are the same, but the
arrays are not in the same order. I believe they are sorted by
frequency, so it might be sufficient to arrange things so that the
N'th most common value in one table is the (statistics_target + 1 -
N)'th most common value in the other. It might also help to use a
function with a real slow comparison function (perhaps one
intentionally constructed to be slow).

...Robert