Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>, Asko Oja <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date: 2008-08-29 05:29:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Tom Lane wrote:
>> You're ignoring the fact that D'Arcy's patch doesn't output valid ReST.
>> It outputs something that might pass for ReST, but only so long as there
>> are no special characters in the data.

> I'd hate to see a focus on the corner cases drive this feature away.

Hmm ... the patch works for data that contains no backslashes,
asterisks, backquotes, vertical bars, nor underscores. Nor perhaps
other special characters that I might've missed in one cursory scan of
the ReST spec. I'm not sure which side of this should be considered a
"corner case"; but I am quite certain that anyone trying to pass data
into a ReST-reading application will soon be dissatisfied with this
patch.