Re: Proposed Resource Manager Changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposed Resource Manager Changes
Date: 2008-08-20 02:51:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

ITAGAKI Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> * values 33-127 are available by centrally managed registration to help
>> avoid conflicts in Postgres projects on pgfoundry
>> * values 128+ are user defined

> One thing to worry about is a confliction of RmgrId.

I think Simon's proposal was sufficient for that already. It seems
fairly comparable to the longstanding situation for statistics "kind"
numbers in pg_statistic, and we have had hardly any requests for new
allocations of those; conflicts in the field are simply nonexistent.

If we ever get to the point where there are groups of hackers competing
for the right to use rmgr IDs, I figure all the current members of
pgsql-hackers will have retired rich ;-)