Re: Remove lossy-operator RECHECK flag?

From: "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Teodor Sigaev" <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remove lossy-operator RECHECK flag?
Date: 2008-04-11 18:42:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Offhand I suspect
> only the PostGIS project would be affected.

Just wanted to point out that I personnally use the capability to
remove the RECHECK of PostGIS opclass (I define a similar opclass
without the recheck) when I enforce the SRID in the application: the
overhead of rechecking the rows returned by the index scan is really
noticeable (for nothing if your SRID is the same in all your
application and data - that's what I read some time ago, hope it's
still true).

I don't know how you think PostGIS should fix their opclass after
RECHECK removal. But I'd like to have a way to keep the ability to
remove the RECHECK on my own if it's possible so I hope it won't be
hardcoded in C code somewhere.

--
Guillaume