Re: COPY Transform support

From: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY Transform support
Date: 2008-04-04 01:20:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 03:57:38PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > AFAIK the state of the art is actually to load the data into a table which
> > closely matches the source material, sometimes just columns of text. Then copy
> > it all to another table doing transformations. Not impressed.
>
> I liked the idea of allowing COPY FROM to act as a table source in a
> larger SELECT or INSERT...SELECT. Not at all sure what would be
> involved to implement that, but it seems a lot more flexible than
> any other approach.

I'm not sure why new syntax is needed, what's wrong with having a simple
set of procedures like:

readtsv(filename TEXT) AS SETOF RECORD

You'd then be free to do whatever "transformations" you wanted:

INSERT INTO table (i,j)
SELECT i, MIN(j::INTEGER)
FROM readtsv("file.dat") x(i INTEGER, j TEXT)
WHERE j ~ '^[0-9]+$'
GROUP BY i;

You could even have a readlines(filename) procedure that just gives you
back a SETOF TEXT and you can do the parsing yourself. An associated
regexp split to RECORD would be nice then.

Sam