modules

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: modules
Date: 2008-04-02 23:41:16
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> as having better system support for packages or modules or whatever
>> you want to call them; and maybe we also need some marketing-type....
>
> ...re-raise the question of getting rid of contrib...
> "The PostgreSQL Standard Modules".

While renaming, could we go one step further and come up with a
clear definition of what it takes for something to qualify as
a module? In particular I think standardizing the installation
would go a long way to letting packagers automate the installation
of modules from pgfoundry.

I think it'd be especially cool if one could one-day have a command

pg_install_module [modulename] -d [databasename]

and it would magically get (or verify that it had) the latest
version from pgfoundry; compile it (if needed) and install it
in the specified database.

The closest analogy to what I'm thinking is the perl CPAN or ruby gems.