[GSoC] (Is it OK to choose items without % mark in theToDoList) && (is it an acceptable idea to build index on Flash Disk)

From: mx <mx(dot)cogito(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [GSoC] (Is it OK to choose items without % mark in theToDoList) && (is it an acceptable idea to build index on Flash Disk)
Date: 2008-03-24 14:17:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,Everyone!
I'm a student in China. and I'm preparing for GSocC2008 in these days.
There are two questions about GSoC.

1. There's a paragraph about the Example Proposal Ideas in PostgreSQL Summer
Projects website.

*TODO Items*: A number of the items on our TODO list have been marked as
> good projects for beginners who are new to the PostgreSQL code. Items on
> this list have the advantage of already having general community agreement
> that the feature is desireable. These items should also have some general
> discussion available in the mailing list archives to help get you started.
> *You can find these items on the TODO<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html>list, they will be marked with a percent sign (%)
> *.

I didn't get attention to this paragraph before, so I choose some items
without % in the List.
*Is it OK?* By the way, I'm writing proposal for multi-column hash now.

2. I'm currently in my fourth year of studies. And I'm in a lab doing
database research.
My thesis work is about B-Tree index in NAND Flash Disk. I want to do it
based on PostgreSQL..
I know embedded server is the feature that postgreSQL don't want. But flash
Disk is developing very fast. It's a trend that Flash Disk will replace
magnetic disk one day just like what Jim Gray said "Tape is dead, disk is
tape, flash is disk", though nowadays flash device is only widely used in
embedded devices.
*So, how about a project idea on NAND Flash disk without limited-resource
environments?*
*Is it an acceptable idea?*

Anyway, hope to hear from you, Thanks!

--
Best Regards,
Meng Xiao

Data and Knowledge Engineering Research Center,CS&T
Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China
Gtalk: mx(dot)cogito(at)gmail(dot)com
MSN: cnEnder(at)live(dot)com
Blog: http://xiaomeng.yo2.cn