Binary data type with other output method

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Binary data type with other output method
Date: 2007-12-25 10:33:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello all,

i'm in the need to create a boolean datatype which returns an integer
instead of the usual 't'/'f'. Before anyone starts to point me at
casts: it's a lot overhead to cast some hundred occurances beside the
source of trouble, if you forget one.

And so i asked myself, if there is an easier way than my current
approach. Right now i'm creating input/output functions, the datatype
and a lot of casts and operators (350 lines SQL) just to get another
output:

CREATE FUNCTION boolean2_in(cstring)
RETURNS boolean2
AS 'boolin'