full text search in 8.3

From: Andy Colson <andy(at)camavision(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: full text search in 8.3
Date: 2007-10-10 17:17:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi All,

You knew it was coming....

I have an 8.2 database that has full text searching. I tried to
backup/restore it to 8.3 but got lots of errors:

<snip>
ERROR: could not access file "$libdir/tsearch2": No such file or directory
ERROR: function public.gtsq_in(cstring) does not exist
ERROR: could not access file "$libdir/tsearch2": No such file or directory
ERROR: function public.gtsq_out(gtsq) does not exist
ERROR: function gtsq_in(cstring) does not exist
<snip>
ERROR: type "tsvector" is only a shell
ERROR: type "public.tsdebug" does not exist
<snip>
etc...

I didn't really expect it to totally work, but I'm not sure how to move
my db. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I used the 8.3 pg_dump on my laptop to backup the 8.2 db from the
server, and tried to restore on my laptop.

I tried both pg_dump -Fc, and just a pg_dump.

Am I going to need to backup the the data, and nothing else (pg_dump
--data-only ). Will the tsvector column be ok?

I tried doing a pg_dump --schema-only and restoring just that, but still
got a bunch of errors (those above). If I clean that up of all the old
text search stuff, and then run it, then do the data, will that work ok?

One more dumb question: I don't have to enable or install anything, do I?

Thanks,

-Andy