Re: permission denied for tablespace pg_global?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: permission denied for tablespace pg_global?
Date: 2007-10-10 12:55:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp> writes:
> postgres=# SELECT pg_size_pretty(pg_tablespace_size(1664));
> ERROR: permission denied for tablespace pg_global

This is an intentional change, documented in the release notes:

* Put some security restrictions on the dbsize functions (Tom)

Restrict pg_database_size() to users who can connect to the target
database (note that CONNECT privilege is granted by default, so this
does not change the default behavior). Restrict pg_tablespace_size()
to users who have CREATE privilege on the tablespace (which is not
granted by default), except when the tablespace is the default
tablespace for the current database (since we treat that as implicitly
allowing use of the tablespace).

There was a long thread about this in -hackers two months ago:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-08/msg00948.php