8.4 TODO item: make src/port support libpq and ecpg directly

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: 8.4 TODO item: make src/port support libpq and ecpg directly
Date: 2007-10-04 21:33:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This business with having libpq and ecpg pull in src/port modules
manually is getting unmaintainable. I wonder whether we could persuade
src/port to generate three versions of libpgport.a --- backend,
frontend, and frontend-shlib-ready --- and then just -l the appropriate
one in libpq and ecpg. This'd waste a few cycles building modules that
would never be used, but on the other hand we'd buy some of that back
by not building the same object files three or four times.