What does Page Layout version mean? (Was: Re: Reducing NUMERIC size for 8.3)

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: What does Page Layout version mean? (Was: Re: Reducing NUMERIC size for 8.3)
Date: 2007-06-19 09:06:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:

> The objections to applying this patch originally were:
> 1. it changes on-disk format (we've done this, so argument is void)

I'm little bit confused when we introduce new page layout version? I
expect that new version become with changes with pageheader, tuple
header or data encoding (varlen/TOAST ...). But in case when there is
new data type internal implementation, there was not reason to update
version (see inet/cidr between 8.1 -> 8.2). Can me somebody clarify this?

However, In upgrade point of view. It will be necessary to keep
information which postgreSQL version creates page to correctly track
data type implementation (or special structure). Information in
pg_control file and PG_VERSION files are unusable for upgrade purpose.

Zdenek