Re: tsearch_core for inclusion

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tsearch_core for inclusion
Date: 2007-03-16 14:42:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru> writes:
> Hmm, you are prompting an idea to me how to simplify usage of full text index in
> simple cases.

> CREATE INDEX idxname ON tblname USING gin (textcolumn fulltext_ops);

+1 ... makes the easy cases easy, doesn't make the hard cases any
harder.

> BTW, simple syntax sugar for CREATE INDEX (fulltext_ops) may be done:
> CREATE INDEX idxname ON tblname USING FULLTEXT (textcolumn)

Not in favor of this, because FULLTEXT isn't an AM ... how would you
know whether to use GIST or GIN? Actually, if you wanted to simplify
life a bit, you could mark fulltext_ops as being the default opclass
for text (and varchar I guess) under GIST and GIN. Then it reduces
to just

CREATE INDEX idxname ON tblname USING gin (textcolumn);