psql possible TODO

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql possible TODO
Date: 2006-12-05 20:25:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

A reasonable simple feature we were thinking about sponsoring was an
addition to psql. Currently if you perform a \s within psql it gives
you the query buffer. My suggestion is that \s give us a execution
number, similar to bash. Thus at a psql prompt we could do:

foo=> !76

And it would execute whatever query was number 76. Secondly:

foo=> !!76

Would execute an explain on whatever query was 76. Lastly:

foo=> !(at)76

Would execute an explain analyze within a transaction and a rollback (so
we could do updates/deletes).

I am of course open to other thoughts but it certainly seems like a nice
shortcut.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/