Re: Bundle of patches

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bundle of patches
Date: 2006-12-05 15:32:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru> writes:
>> useful optimizations most of the time. Have you done any benchmarking
>> to find out what the cost is when the optimizations don't succeed?

> Test runs on my notebook with PIII/512Mb, FreeBSD 6.1, postgres was compiled
> with -O0 and --enable-debug --enable-cassert

This is not responding to my concern. What you presented was an
advertisement for the cases where the patch is able to find a better
plan. What I want to know about is how much planning time is added
for queries that it's *not* able to improve. EXPLAIN ANALYZE output
doesn't address that point because it doesn't show planning time.