Re: Proposal: syntax of operation with tsearch's configuration

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Proposal: syntax of operation with tsearch's configuration
Date: 2006-11-17 20:09:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> We should also take the opportunity to discuss new keywords for the
> XML support -- will we use new grammar, or functions?

The XML stuff is defined in the SQL standard and there are existing
implementations, so any nonstandard syntax is going to be significantly
less useful. (The other problem is that you can't implement most of
the stuff in functions anyway.)

I don't see any comparable arguments about this full-text search stuff.
In particular I don't see any arguments why a change would necessary at
all, including why moving to core would be necessary in the first
place.

--
Peter Eisentraut