Re: Lock partitions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Strong, David" <david(dot)strong(at)unisys(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lock partitions
Date: 2006-09-12 16:40:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Strong, David" <david(dot)strong(at)unisys(dot)com> writes:
> When using 16 buffer and 16 lock partitions, we see that BufMapping
> takes 809 seconds to acquire locks and 174 seconds to release locks. The
> LockMgr takes 362 seconds to acquire locks and 26 seconds to release
> locks.

> When using 128 buffer and 128 lock partitions, we see that BufMapping
> takes 277 seconds (532 seconds improvement) to acquire locks and 78
> seconds (96 seconds improvement) to release locks. The LockMgr takes 235
> seconds (127 seconds improvement) to acquire locks and 22 seconds (4
> seconds improvement) to release locks.

While I don't see any particular penalty to increasing
NUM_BUFFER_PARTITIONS, increasing NUM_LOCK_PARTITIONS carries a very
significant penalty (increasing PGPROC size as well as the work needed
during LockReleaseAll, which is executed at every transaction end).
I think 128 lock partitions is probably verging on the ridiculous
... particularly if your benchmark only involves touching half a dozen
tables. I'd be more interested in comparisons between 4 and 16 lock
partitions. Also, please vary the two settings independently rather
than confusing the issue by changing them both at once.

> With the improvements in the various locking times, one might expect an
> improvement in the overall benchmark result. However, a 16 partition run
> produces a result of 198.74 TPS and a 128 partition run produces a
> result of 203.24 TPS.

> Part of the time saved from BufMapping and LockMgr partitions is
> absorbed into the WALInsertLock lock. For a 16 partition run, the total
> time to lock/release the WALInsertLock lock is 5845 seconds. For 128
> partitions, the WALInsertLock lock takes 6172 seconds, an increase of
> 327 seconds. Perhaps we have our WAL configured incorrectly?

I fear this throws your entire measurement procedure into question. For
a fixed workload the number of acquisitions of WALInsertLock ought to be
fixed, so you shouldn't see any more contention for WALInsertLock if the
transaction rate didn't change materially.