Re: TODO Request

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TODO Request
Date: 2006-09-02 23:48:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Added to TODO:

* Simplify ability to create partitioned tables

This would allow creation of partitioned tables without requiring
creation of rules for INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE, and constraints for
rapid partition selection. Options could include range and hash
partition selection.

* Allow auto-selection of partitioned tables for min/max() operations

I didn't add subparitions because that seems pretty complicated.

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
> >> Can we get:
>
> Well this should be fun.
>

> >> Multiple table indexes (for uniqueness across partitions for example)
> >> Auto creations of partitions
>
> This would be something like:
>
> create table foo () partition by ...
>
> >> Hash partitioning
>
> Partitioning by HASH is used primarily to ensure an even distribution of
> data among a predetermined number of partitions.
>
> >> Key partitioning
>
> Partitioning by key is similar to partitioning by hash, except that
> where hash partitioning employs a user-defined expression.
>
> >> Sub partitioning
> >

> Subpartitioning ? also known as composite partitioning ? is the further
> division of each partition in a partitioned table. (partitions that have
> partitions)
>

> >> Added to the TODO list?
> >
> > Perhaps a certain amount of specificity as to what these mean,
> > and why we need them, would be appropriate.
>
> For reference I am directly apply my fair use rights to the above per
> the MySQL development docs. Reference below:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/partitioning.html
>
> Yes I am fully aware that we don't need to do something just because
> MySQL does it. However, Oracle has similar functionality and I would
> like to see us keep up :)
>
> Of course I would like it to be done correctly :)
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> > regards, tom lane

> > TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org so that your
> >

> --
>
> === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
> Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240
> Providing the most comprehensive PostgreSQL solutions since 1997
> http://www.commandprompt.com/

Bruce Momjian bruce(at)momjian(dot)us