Re: ecpg test suite

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Rocco Altier <RoccoA(at)Routescape(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ecpg test suite
Date: 2006-08-03 16:46:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de> writes:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 11:36:22AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> At least from my perspective, it would be good if there were a way to
>> run the regression tests without any use of TCP ports.

> Do you see a possibility to select what test should be run? Maybe no tcp
> connections by default but with an additional make-target "checktcp"?

That would work for me.

Note there are other reasons besides my Red-Hat-specific problem for not
wanting to enable TCP connections during regression tests, for instance
* on some platforms they will fail due to aggressive kernel packet
filtering
* one might not care to expose a postmaster running with auth-method
"trust" to the network, even for just a few seconds.