Re: ecpg test suite

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Rocco Altier <RoccoA(at)Routescape(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ecpg test suite
Date: 2006-08-03 15:36:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de> writes:
>>> diff: `-3' option is obsolete; omit it
>>> diff: Try `diff --help' for more information.

> This got introduced by Rocco's Makefile patch, it worked for me, so I
> thought it's fine. Rocco, your AIX box will work with only diff -c as well,
> won't it?

The spelling we've used for many years is
diff -w -C3
Is there a reason to change from that?

> Yes, it's hardcoded but in just one file. Only one of the connect-Tests does
> tcp/ip connects. This can't be changed by a simple #define nor exec sql
> define, so I added a template file and replaced the port number with sed.

At least from my perspective, it would be good if there were a way to
run the regression tests without any use of TCP ports. The problem is
that Red Hat's build system tends to try to build 32-bit and 64-bit
variants of the same architecture concurrently in different chroots
on the same machine. Tests using unix sockets work fine in this
environment, tests using TCP sockets conflict and fail. If there's
no way to run an ecpg test without TCP then I'll never be able to enable
ecpg regression tests in Red Hat RPMs.