Re: pg_get_INDEXdef - opclass

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_get_INDEXdef - opclass
Date: 2006-06-12 17:32:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
>> Following a pgAdmin bug report, I noticed that pg_get_viewdef doesn't
>> return the opclass when called for a specific column (in 8.1
>> at least) -

> Bah, I mean pg_get_indexdef of course :-)

This is intentional --- whoever asked for the per-column variant of
the indexdef function wanted it that way. It seems reasonable to me:
you can extract the opclass name with a simple join against
pg_index.indclass[N], when you need it, whereas if the function
sometimes included an opclass name that would tend to break apps that
weren't expecting it. OTOH, getting the expression for an expression
column would be seriously painful if there were no function to do it.