Re: new feature: LDAP database name resolution

From: "Albe Laurenz" <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>
To: "Albe Laurenz" <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new feature: LDAP database name resolution
Date: 2006-02-28 12:41:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am now in the process of writing a patch against CVS HEAD that
changes fe-connect.c as follows:

- If there is a 'service' option or PGSERVICE is set, AND the
environment
PGLDAPSERVERS is set to a comma separated list of LDAP server URIs,
LDAP name resolution cuts in.
- Before pg_services.conf is examined, the LDAP servers are contacted
in order until a connection can be established.
- The server is queried for an entry whose distinguished name is
the value of 'service'. A certain attribute is retrieved.
- The resulting string is parsed for options.
- If that fails, pg_services.conf is read as fallback.

I have added a configure option --with-openldap to enable the code.

Does that make sense to you?

Should I try to polish and test the code and submit it as a patch
or is this a lost effort?

Do you have ideas for improvement?

>>> Thank you also for drawing my attention to pg_service.conf - I have
not
>>> been aware of it.
>>> There are two 'shortcomings':
>>> - It still means that you have to change the config file on every
client.

>> Well yes. However, you could generate the config file automatically
>> from another source, either LDAP or something else.
>
> this is definitely the best way of doing it. in fact some folks out
> there use similar configurations to manager large scale systems
> efficiently.

Having to update configuration files on all clients is always a hassle.
Of course it can be done, but isn't it much nicer to have the client
query a configuration server at connection time?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe