Removing SORTFUNC_LT/REVLT

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Removing SORTFUNC_LT/REVLT
Date: 2005-12-28 22:06:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings everybody,

As part of the changes I would like relating to collations, the two
sort options in inlineApplySortFunction() using only a less-than
operator may become unsupportable. This has been indirectly discussed
before [1] and no-one seemed to have an issue with it then. Internally
nothing in PostgreSQL needs it, but if we want to keep supporting that
ORDER BY ... USING clause it would have to stay.

The issue is whether anything you want to ORDER BY needs to be
described by an B-tree operator class, and hence have a real sort
function.

1. Do people have any problems with this?
2. Would a patch for this be accepted seperate from the whole collation
stuff?

Have a nice day,

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-09/msg00784.php