Re: Attention PL authors: want to be listed in template table?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Attention PL authors: want to be listed in template table?
Date: 2005-09-07 19:22:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Another note: PLs that are not in the core distribution are not
> created with createlang in the first place, so the issues that led up
> to this proposal don't apply AFAICT,

What I'm trying to say here is that it might be OK to hardcode the
properties of core languages in the server, because considering that
the only officially supported way to activate those is
"createlang" (rather than using SQL), the properties of them are in
effect already hardcoded, and from the point of view of a user who is
using createlang, nothing changes. For languages that are not shipped
in the core, we gain pretty much nothing by this approach as currently
implemented and potentially introduce more problems than we solve
(e.g., language is compiled in an untrusted way, but template says it's
trusted; template says language has validator, but user uses old
version that has none; template points to $libdir, user has it
installed elsewhere).

--
Peter Eisentraut